Air Purifier for Apartment Living
Do you live in an apartment and need to breathe fresh air? If so, an air purifier can help. Most apartments have a restrictive layout and are compact which makes it difficult to get ventilation throughout every room. For this reason, many apartment units have an HVAC cooling and heating system that requires regular cleaning.
If the HVAC system is not cleaned there’s a big chance allergens, mold, dust, and other pollutants are being pumped throughout your apartment through the vents all day. This is why air purifiers are increasingly becoming popular must-have items for apartment living.
How does an air purifier help?
Air purifiers are designed to remove airborne particles that are harmful to you and your family’s health. They have the power to remove common pollutants such as:
- Cooking odors
- Dust mites
- Cigarette smoke
- Pet dander
- Microscopic particles
What are the biggest sources of airborne contaminants?
- Allergens – Common allergens include pet dander, pollen, and dust. These particles can sometimes be invisible to the eye but still remain in the air you breathe.
- Mold – Apartments are often designed with poor ventilation that allows humidity and moisture to create mold to grow. The mold spores can cause an allergic reaction in people who suffer from respiratory issues such as asthma.
- Odors – Have you ever walked into your apartment and became overwhelmed by the strong odor? Pet and cooking odors are the main culprits that make your apartment stink. Air purifiers remove odor and keep your home smelling clean.
- Chemical Off-Gassing – This chemical process originates from furniture, rugs, carpeting, and even a new coat of paint. The materials used to make these items contain volatile organic compounds that gradually get released into the air you breathe.
- Smoke smell – Whether you or your neighbors smoke, removing the smell from your home isn’t easy. Tobacco smoke is a difficult odor to get rid of and is often absorbed into the furniture, drapery, and carpeting. The only way to get rid of the smoke smell is with a powerful air purifier that will keep your home smelling fresh even if you smoke inside.
The Best Air Purifier for Apartments
It’s difficult to determine how many particles are floating around in the air you breathe but an air purifier that has the following features will successfully remove invisible pollutants from your apartment.
- Activated Carbon Filter – This filter is responsible for eliminating odors and off-gassing chemicals.
- HEPA Filter – This filter captures and traps 99.97% of particles such as pet dander, dust, pollen, bacteria, and mold spores.
- UV-C Light – This special feature zaps bacteria and viruses that float around in the air. It helps keep the air in your apartment sterile which is beneficial for people who suffer from asthma, allergies, and other respiratory problems.
Choosing the Right Size Air Purifier
The size of your apartment plays a large part in choosing the right size air purifier. Your goal is to make sure the air purifier you choose provides sufficient coverage.
Since air purifier coverage is rated in square feet, you will need to find out by using one of the three options below:
- Check your lease agreement or the apartment complex’s website for square footage information
- Ask the apartment complex manager or staff
- Ask your private landlord
- Use a measuring tape to determine the square footage. If you are measuring it yourself, use the following method: length x width = square footage
Where is a good place to put an air purifier in an apartment?
The placement of your air purifier is as important as the size and model you choose. You need to choose the room you want to place the air purifier in and make sure that it has 24 inches of clearance around all sides. This will help their purifier work at its optimal level. Avoid placing it against a wall or with too many objects around it because it can short circuit.
Common Questions About Air Purifiers for ApartmentsAre air purifiers noisy?
Most air purifier models are quiet and sometimes silent when operating on a low setting. However, a higher setting can produce louder humming sounds.Do you need more than one air purifier?
Small apartments, lofts, and studios only need one air purifier while larger spaces require more than one to ensure clean air. EPA recommendations for indoor air quality.Do air purifiers cost a lot to maintain?
Most air filter models require a filter replacement every 6 to 8 months. Some designs only need filter replacement every two years. A helpful tip is to choose an air purifier that is easy to maintain within your budget.
Can you leave an air purifier on 24/7?
Yes. Pollutants build up quickly so it’s best to leave the air purifier running 24 hours per day, seven days a week to ensure the air in your apartment is always clean.
Apartment living can cause pollutants to enter through windows and doors from outdoors or neighbors. Keeping the air clean inside your apartment helps reduce allergies and respiratory problems. Start breathing fresh air by choosing the best air purifier for your apartment today!